It looks like these incidents were happening back in 2012 or perhaps sooner, although I don't recall hearing anything about them at that time. The good thing is that the department actually took the complaint seriously and passed it on to the feds, unlike what normally happens. Wishing health and speedy recovery and healing for the survivors of these horrible assaults. Here's some coverage:
Ex-San Bernardino police officer convicted in sex abuse case
By Melissa Pinion-Whitt, San Bernardino Sun
POSTED: 05/28/14, 12:17 PM PDT | UPDATED: 3 HRS AGO 0 COMMENTS
RIVERSIDE >> A former San Bernardino police officer could face life in prison after a federal grand jury found him guilty Wednesday of forcing two prostitutes to perform sex acts while he was on duty and in uniform.
The jury in U.S. District Court began deliberating midday Friday on the case against Jose Jesus Perez and returned verdicts Wednesday morning, said Assistant United States Attorney Thomas Stout.
“I think the jury did a very good job of considering the evidence and they returned a just verdict,” Stout said.
Perez, 46, of Menifee, was fired from the San Bernardino Police Department in December 2012, four months after police received a complaint about the incidents. He was indicted in federal court in September the following year and captured in Denton, Texas.
Authorities said on April 25, 2011, Perez groped a woman and forced her to perform oral sex by attacking and threatening her with his firearm.
That woman and another testified that they were forced to have sex in vehicles and hotel rooms.
He solicited a third woman who was not a prostitute to have sex with him after a man she had been traveling with was arrested on suspicion of driving while under the influence. The woman, a Los Angeles resident, was stranded.
“He solicited sex from her in that situation while he was on duty in uniform in a patrol car,” Stout said.
The woman did not have sex with Perez.
All three women said they feared repercussions if they didn’t comply with the officer’s demands.
The jury found Perez guilty of depriving rights under color of law, and that both offenses involved aggravated sexual abuse. One incident also involved kidnapping and bodily injury, the jury found.
Jurors also found him guilty of a misdemeanor civil rights offense related to the second time he demanded sex from one of the victims. Jurors acquitted him of a misdemeanor count for allegedly forcing that same victim to have sex with him in September 2011.
Former San Bernardino Police Chief Robert Handy described the incidents as an embarrassment to law enforcement.
“I think the good thing for us is we investigated him completely and are holding him accountable just as we would a civilian — in fact, he’s being held to a higher standard,” he said at the time of Perez’s arrest.
Perez began his law enforcement career with the Los Angeles Police Department in 1997 and was hired by San Bernardino in 2008.
He is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 18.